Thursday, 26 June 2008

Poor But Happy; result happiness

The final figures surprised even me. My total economies work out to £121.24 per week, so in practice I’d otherwise need to work a 40 hour week to have the lifestyle I’ve currently got working 25 hours. Even if I stopped writing tomorrow I don’t think I’d go back to full time work. I live comfortably on what’s coming in and I have a good time. I’ve become a bit of a thrift nerd and have to remind myself not to keep boring the arse off friends about my latest bargain find, but I’d rather this life than the more obvious alternatives on offer. Besides, what would I want with a lot of money? I’d probably only end up frittering it away on hiring contract killers.
Doing the project’s made me rethink a lot of things. I’ve got much more into recycling and related issues, which I used to see as other people’s business. As I’ve got older I’ve become more cynical and selfish, but this last year or so has made me realise how lucky I am. Just lately I’ve started to get involved again in the housing co-op where I live and I’m on the look-out for other ways that I can commit again to the things I care about.
Up to now I’ve done one shot zines but I want to keep this one going. Future issues will be different, but still related to low-budget life. I’d be really pleased to hear from you about this zine, or anything really. Email me; thriftnerd (at) yahoo dot co dot uk.
Cheers,
Eddie xxx
Next.
Index.

No comments: